Giancarlo De Carlo, The Zigaina House, Friuli, Italy, 1958
Giancarlo De Carlo, The Zigaina House, Via Biavi Abate, Friuli, Italy, 1958
The Zigaina House at Cervignano in Friuli (1958), by Giancarlo De Carlo is bought as the living house for artist Giuseppe Zigaina and his family.
After the construction of the house, the buyer has purchased two adjacent lots and expanded the property to approximately 11000mq. The boundary drawn by De Carlo was shot down, and garage was converted into a reception area for guests and study. Overall there are four other pavilions were created by Zigaina and architect Buiatti, but the original building by De Carlo has remained intact, except for the replacement of the openings of the studio (glass block), made by the artist himself, to create a space letting in more diffuse light. The entire series of buildings surrounding the park is built on one floor and now it is slightly buried. The outer surface of the former garage is now completely covered with ivy, which is the will of the inhabitants.