Studio BBPR, Casa Rollier, Milan, Italy, 1947-1950
Studio BBPR, Casa Rollier, Via Poerio 37, Milan, Italy, 1947-1950. (view on google maps)
B.B.P.R. is a studio of architects, planners and designers, composed of Gian Luigi Banfi, Ludovico Barbiato di Belgiojoso , Enrico Peressutti and Ernesto Nathan Rogers. Set up in Milan in 1932, it soon became a vivid part of the modern movement, of which the studio is one of the Italian leaders.
In 1947, this group renovated a house for the Rollier family in via Poerio in Milano.
The living room is also an entrance hall and they are differentiated by a slight difference in height and material; in the entrance there are ceramic tiles by Melotti, while the living room has a big plank made out of solid walnut.
The single room is characterized by a group of elements: the first element is the chimney, completely isolated from the walls, truncated cone-shaped and made out of pink, blue and grey Melotti ceramic panels. Moreover the fireplace is on a tripod made of bronze and the circular staircase is supported first by a semicircular wall around the chimney and then by the wall. B.B.P.R. also designed a bay window with steel frame that sticks out on the garden and some furnitures (coffee table, sofa).
Upstairs, in the bedroom the architects wanted only one ambience for two functions: sleeping and working. The furniture includes: mobile library-bar-radio- desk made out of wood and steel frame, bed and headboard made of walnut and maple wardrobes with three panels each, and walnut wardrobe with folding door.
Reviewed March 2017 by: