Vittoriano Viganò, L’Istituto Marchiondi Spagliardi, Milan, Italy, 1954-1955
Vittoriano Viganò, L’Istituto Marchiondi Spagliardi, Cardinal Ferrari, Milan, Italy, 1954-1955. (view on google maps)
The Institute Marchiondi was an institution in Milan dedicated to the education of difficult youth already existing in 800.
Covering a large area behind the central square of Cardinal Ferrari, there was via Marchiondi. The nineteenth-century building, hexagonal, was located in Quadronno 26 and in the bombings of World War II it was demolished and the area was rebuilt and used for other purposes. The Institute of Education was transferred to Baggio in 1952 taking the name Marchiondi Spagliardi.
The new building was designed and built by Vittoriano Viganò. The institute gives off a strong vital energy, symbolically represented by the use of reinforced concrete and by the predominance of the color red.
The building has been in recent years the subject of squatting, which aggravated the state of degradation, by nomadic families of Rome, repeatedly evicted.
Reviewed by Toon Geraerts
Reviewed March 2017 by: